We Are Too Forgiving

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

We Are Too Forgiving

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Simply put, I am stunned by the lack of anger over the weekend’s performance. Even the guy booing the team as they left the field is copping more of a spray from snowflake supporters than the players are likely to receive from Cuddles Worsfold.

Are we now that hardwired to accept these types of gutless performances that we go meekly back to work on Monday, Head lowered in embarrassment, joking along with acid tongued colleagues about how our team should have stayed on the juice?

When is this ever going to end?

Why is it that every other team in the competition barring the basket case that is Gold Coast have won a finals match since 2004 but not us. Fact is GCS will probably win won before we do.

The rose colored glasses brigade... ie, 80% of our fans, will blame everything from global warming to the price of bread as being the culprits in our sad demise....never the players, never the coach.

I will never abandon my football club but I have no trust in this playing group or the fools claiming to be their coaches. I present exhibit A...Essendon vs Western Bulldogs, Sunday August 11 2019. Simply put, the most pathetic effort I have ever seen from an Essendon team in decades. The first team to allow a side outside the Top Eight beat a team inside the Top Eight by more than 100 points. Now even Gold Coast hasn’t allowed that to happen.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: We Are Too Forgiving

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm

This is spot on

Former Bombers Brendon Goddard and Tim Watson have slammed Essendon’s lack of effort against the Western Bulldogs.

Dylan Shiel kicked the first goal less than 30 seconds after the opening bounce on Saturday night but Essendon didn’t kick another major until late in the final quarter – and in between the Dogs piled on an astonishing 21 goals.

Goddard said the players looked “disinterested” as the game, and potentially their season, slipped away.

“They didn’t come to fight,” he said on RSN radio this morning.

“(It was like they said), ‘We’ll just cop it’.”

Watson said coach John Worsfold had to hit his players “right between the eyes” with the “half-arsed efforts” against the Dogs.

“He’s got a decision, whether or not he tries to maintain the confidence of this group and how hard he goes on them, but I am of the belief that you need to be confronted with all the errors that you made as an individual and a group – and there were so many examples of the way players performed at the weekend that weren’t acceptable, that weren’t up to AFL standard,” he said on SEN.

"They need to be confronted with that.

“If you can’t be brutal with a performance like that you’ve got the wrong group of players. If they’re fragile, bad luck.”

Former Bulldogs and Suns coach Rodney Eade listed examples of Essendon players failing to meet basic expectations of applying pressure.

“I don’t see how (people) can say, all players don’t mean not to try, OK maybe they didn’t mean to, but they didn’t try enough,” he told RSN.

"At AFL level, and to the level you need, they didn’t try.

"To kick 21 goals like that was actually abysmal. It was not acceptable.

“They were jogging and some of them were witches hats.”

It was a view echoed by St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt, who said the performance demonstrated that winning “is just not important enough” for Essendon players.

“Everyone goes out to try but there are degrees of trying, and at the moment there are far too many of those Bombers players who are in a malaise,” he told SEN.

“They think they’re giving supreme effort, but if you stacked up their version of supreme effort when they’re actually giving it and they’re up and about compared to what they dished up on Saturday night, it’s a mile off.”

He said Worsfold and the club had to take a stand now “for the good of the group going forward” even it it threatened the Bombers’ chances of making finals this year.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:13 pm

My immediate thoughts after the game were...

What would Hawthorn do after such a performance? I tossed around possible responses and came up with the following...

1. They simply wouldn’t put in such a performance in the first place because they are such a proud club. Their belief systems and culture just wouldn’t allow the insipidness we displayed.

2. In the case that it DID happen, Clarkson would not be sitting in the box without a broken window, wall, phone, chair or desk.

3. Kennett would be totally outspoken and basically apologising to the fans and promising it would never happen again.

4. Any player not displaying and embracing the club’s ‘values’ would never pull on the jumper again.

And there may be many more actions following the above.

The same would be said of Collingwood with Buckley and McGuire.

They simply wouldn’t tolerate such a gutless effort.

We continually witness such garbage and just take it in our stride. Nothing much is said, and nothing much is done. As insipid as the players were.

I’m glad I grew up and lived through the Sheedy years. I pity those of you who didn’t. They were simply our glory days - dynamic, ruthless, powerful, responsive, innovative, and successful.

What we have been since...

Mansuetus ac Mitis (Meek & Mild)
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:17 pm

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm

I think the mass exodus of fans said it all.

I left because I found myself screaming at the top of my voice who the fu-cking hell is on Richards when he was by himself for what seemed like half an hour. After that I repeated yelled for f-Ucks sake after each new goal they kicked. I turned to my daughter and said what do you want to do? She replied she wanted to leave. That was at the 20 min mark of the 3rd quarter.

Don’t worry Essendon supporters are seething. Pity they don’t sell cans at the footy like they did in the 70s.

I think we need a collective shape up or ship out to the entire senior playing list, coaching staff and football dept.
Regards

MH_Bomber

Daisy..1
High Draft Pick

Post by Daisy..1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:00 pm

I would really love to sit with Sheeds after 20 neat Scotchs and hear what HE REALLY THINKS...

mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:25 am

I am tired of all the excuses, I am tired of the membership staff trying to con us into spending more money, I am sick and tired of the club playing injured players who should not be playing. Didn't we learn anything from the supplements saga about a duty of care. Our medico's/physio's need reviewing there appears to be something not quite right happening or not happening there. The club has adopted a softly, softly, approach since the supplements saga and its slowly wound its way all the way down to the players. They were there for last weeks game in body only, most of the players were not present and threw in the towel. There were only about four players who tried. Mostly, they had no grit, no guts and didn't give a stuff.
It has to be in my 70 years supporting this club, one of the worst games of footy I have ever seen. And; the Doggies could have easily beaten us by thirty goals. We are a disorganised rabble.

Its called Essendon Football Club for a reason because it used to be all about footy, not any more. It seems the club has its interests in so many more things now that footy, it seems, is no longer its prime importance. That's how it feels to me. I won't be renewing my membership in 2020. I have been in touch with the club and I have told them and told them why. I am voting with my feet, it is all I can do. I could never follow another team but for now, I need a clean break. There are other things in life and life is short, very short and after all, at the end of the day it is just a game of footy.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 am

Dev Smith was on The Oval Office last night and he virtually said he wished Woosha was harder on the players. Basically said that he delivers his messages in the same manner no matter what has taken place.

He said he gets honest feedback from Woosha in one on one conversations, but as a group, it’s just good ol’ positive John. Not sure how you could be positive after Saturday night...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 am

Sounds awfully familiar in that last paragraph MH,particularly on what you believe the Club has become in this Day and Age.Could it be that we are being run by Career Administrators,who think they know what the Community wants,as opposed to knowing what The Club Fans And Supporters Want,1st And Foremost?!

SUCCESS!

As for your 1st paragraph,that sounds awfully familiar as well.Though I get the feeling the Medicos,Physios And other similar staff are the meat in the sandwich here,being out under unnecessary pressure to keep players in the Park,that shouldn’t be.Got the feeling I’ve heard this story before,say here in WA in the past and near present and not just 1 Club.

Pretty depressing and it doesn’t do the players any favours,expecting them to go beyond the call of duty,if they are simply not up to it!

Just my 2 bob’s worth.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 am
Sounds awfully familiar in that last paragraph MH,particularly on what you believe the Club has become in this Day and Age.Could it be that we are being run by Career Administrators,who think they know what the Community wants,as opposed to knowing what The Club Fans And Supporters Want,1st And Foremost?!

SUCCESS!

As for your 1st paragraph,that sounds awfully familiar as well.Though I get the feeling the Medicos,Physios And other similar staff are the meat in the sandwich here,being out under unnecessary pressure to keep players in the Park,that shouldn’t be.Got the feeling I’ve heard this story before,say here in WA in the past and near present and not just 1 Club.

Pretty depressing and it doesn’t do the players any favours,expecting them to go beyond the call of duty,if they are simply not up to it!

Just my 2 bob’s worth.
Ah yes, the career administrator. It’s like Maxwell’s Mr Pepperfeathers in the greeting card company :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: