R23 Essendon v Collingwood

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

R23 Essendon v Collingwood

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 am

OUT: D. Zaharakis

IN: D. Clarke
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

s'dreams
Club Captain

Re: R23 Essendon v Collingwood

Post by s'dreams » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 am
OUT: D. Zaharakis

IN: D. Clarke
Agree.

If Fanta is still with injury/niggles - rest him and bring in Snelling.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:45 am

The Filth will probably go in as Favourites with Sportsbet,given their flogging of the Crows on the road.But did the crows even show up,given what was at stake for them?Or are they deadset trying to get Don Pyke Sacked?

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:24 am

Not my selections but rather a prediction on what the club will do

1. Continue to rest Hooker
2. Get game time into emergency players....Ridley, BZT, Begley, Laverde
3. Possibly rest Heppell and Fantasia and have them cherry ripe for the elimination final

Therefore

In: Clarke, Ridley, Laverde, Begley
Out: Heppell (Manage), Fantasia (Manage), Zaharakis (injured), Ham (omit)

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:29 am

Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:24 am

3. Possibly rest Heppell and Fantasia and have them cherry ripe for the elimination final

Therefore

Ridley hasn't played since round 7. Why do you think he is even in the frame? Snelling is a more likely emergency.

Laverde didn't get a Guernsey in the week they brought in 6 players. Again not likely to feature. Hurley, and BZT being in frees up Hooker to go forward if the feeling is that Brown and McKernan cannot do the job. Hartley also provides that flexibility.

Ham did OK, why drop him?

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:47 pm

We must win to have a chance of playing a home final. If GWS played before us, we could make late changes, they don’t, therefore minimal changes this week and play our strongest squad of available players.

Also, why manage players when we have essentially 2 weeks between games, makes no sense to me...

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:13 pm

As we embark on September we must approach the finals with care. Look after guys who are sore, and give them a rest next week. There is that nook about a week off before finals anyway, but what’s the point of risking sore blokes in the last round of the season just to open them up to a damage. Might pay to debut Houlahan against Collingwood just for a simple exposé. He would be a choice selection given our plight of injuries and the underdone.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:10 pm

I really don't know which way to go this week.
I think resting Hooker, Heppell & Fantasia would be smart. Their issues are chronic so the longer they rest the better. Not sure that just the Bye week is really enough. But maybe it is enough? Will have to trust the medical staff - hahahaha!
Also TBC is a rough chance to be available apparently. Again, I think I'd prefer him to have the extra week off. Or just managed minutes in VFL.

As for ins.
BZT keeps his spot if Hooker doesn't play.
Maybe Ridley for Zaharakis. But I'd like to give Mynott a crack too. He's a Rookie though, does that matter?
Dylan Clarke maybe, depending on balance and if there are other omissions besides Zaka.
99.9% sure Snelling won't be available, so perhaps give Houlahan a game if Fantasia is out. Frankly he doesn't seem to get enough of the ball, but maybe he's one of those players that needs to play at the top level to bring his best. And as far as I know we have no other small forwards anyway.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Quite simple.

You rest the guys who are not 100% fit and Do not Risk them.Give them a good 2 weeks to recover with the Bye.

As much as you want to beat the Filth this week with what we got,get your best team ready for Week 1 of the Finals.

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:39 pm

grassy1 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:31 pm
Quite simple.

You rest the guys who are not 100% fit and Do not Risk them.Give them a good 2 weeks to recover with the Bye.

As much as you want to beat the Filth this week with what we got,get your best team ready for Week 1 of the Finals.
That's the way I'm leaning.
I don't think it matters who we play Week One of Finals - whoever it is, it's an Elimination match, so let's have our best team available....and fit.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:51 pm

I meant to add,we should Hit the Filth with everything including the kitchen sink and then some.

Short of killing them,they’re the Pittsburgh Steelers to our Raiders!

Take NO Prisoners!

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 am

I’m not privy to understand how sore our players are.
I would prefer giving our managed players more game time to ensure they have a feel for the tempo after the break.

Heppell especially didn’t return ready 2 weeks ago. Giving him 2 weeks break might make him closer to 100% fit but not match fit.

I was genuinely surprised how well Hurley slotted back last week after his break. Can hooker/Fantasia do the same or do we risk playing them for consistency?

This week means little as a result. But if we can lose and still keep the belief that we know we can beat them in a final - that would be superb

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm

bpdons wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 am
I would prefer giving our managed players more game time to ensure they have a feel for the tempo after the break.

Heppell especially didn’t return ready 2 weeks ago. Giving him 2 weeks break might make him closer to 100% fit but not match fit.

I was genuinely surprised how well Hurley slotted back last week after his break. Can hooker/Fantasia do the same or do we risk playing them for consistency?

This week means little as a result. But if we can lose and still keep the belief that we know we can beat them in a final - that would be superb
Woosha says they recovered "really well" after returing home, with very little stiffness or soreness. Looking at the team song in Freo last weekend, there was a sense of positivity, energy and excitement - (probably becoz we definitely had a finals berth.) Now we need the Pies to put their team in mothballs on Friday night and give us a narrow win, caterpaulting us into the fray for round 1. Over to you Woosha! :D

nudder12
Regular Senior Player

Post by nudder12 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm
bpdons wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 am

Woosha says they recovered "really well" after returing home, with very little stiffness or soreness. Looking at the team song in Freo last weekend, there was a sense of positivity, energy and excitement - (probably becoz we definitely had a finals berth.) Now we need the Pies to put their team in mothballs on Friday night and give us a narrow win, caterpaulting us into the fray for round 1. Over to you Woosha! :D
Collingwood won't be mothballing anyone - they're still a good chance at Top 4.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:08 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:29 am
Windy_Hill wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:24 am

Therefore

Ridley hasn't played since round 7. Why do you think he is even in the frame? Snelling is a more likely emergency.

Laverde didn't get a Guernsey in the week they brought in 6 players. Again not likely to feature. Hurley, and BZT being in frees up Hooker to go forward if the feeling is that Brown and McKernan cannot do the job. Hartley also provides that flexibility.

Ham did OK, why drop him?
Perhaps I wasn’t clear...the point being that the club might use the opportunity to get game time into some borderline players now rather than in the finals if needed due to injury. I am merely suggesting the fringe players that have had some Senior game time already and therefore more likely to come under consideration. This is of course premised on whether the club will choose to rest several players carrying niggles. Hope that clarifies my comment.

bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:32 pm

With a positive mindset. We only have to win our next 5 games. We’ve won 5 in a row earlier. Let’s go 1 better and aim for 6.
The time is up for trying out players. Get a consistent team playing for each other.

Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:33 pm

Hooker was a bees dick off playing last week. Rest him this week, that means 3 weeks off before a final. No thanks, plays for mine.

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 pm

bpdons wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:32 pm
With a positive mindset. We only have to win our next 5 games. We’ve won 5 in a row earlier. Let’s go 1 better and aim for 6.
The time is up for trying out players. Get a consistent team playing for each other.
Yeah but Carlton, Gold Coast, The Dees, the Swans and Norf arent playing finals😁

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Gimps wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:33 pm
Hooker was a bees dick off playing last week. Rest him this week, that means 3 weeks off before a final. No thanks, plays for mine.
Hooker has been struggling most of the second half of the season with some niggles...the rest would do him the world of good. It’s not like he is a midfielder where touch and form may drop with an extended break. Besides that, it didn’t seem to effect Hurley too badly and he was off for what, 5 weeks?

I am sure the club can build his training load to ensure he is prime to go if indeed he does get the break.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:53 pm

On a side note - I love how the AFL has bent over and decided that Stevenson is free to play the instant the final siren sounds on Friday Night's game.

Silly me thinking 10 weeks meant 10 weeks...