R5 Essendon v North Melbourne

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: R5 Essendon v North Melbourne

Post by Windy_Hill »

Great win against a shite team - they looked like we did against GWS

Nevertheless Many, many good signs

1) Daniher playing 90% of game time and kicking a couple - didnt do much else but great to see him get through unscathed
2) 7, 9 & 21 were imperious and will have to back that up next week if we are to have any chance of beating a very, very good Magpie unit. Shiel proving be the missing link to our well documented midfield malaise
3) Hurley, Ambrose and Hooker - I am frankly stunned by how goof Hooker has been after a really interrupted pre-season. Ambrose seems to have nailed his role as the lock down tall defender. With Ridley and Redman in support....best looking defence we have had for some time.
4) McKenna and Saad - these two will forever be mentioned in the same breath...and Irish immigrant and and Muslim Lebanese/Australian - together thy make Hummous Stew.
5) Fantasia and Walla - they are our version of whack-a-mole....knock one down, the other pops up
6)Brown - has been outstanding as a reliable, marking and goal kicking forward - frees up Stringer and seemed to work in well with JD today
7) Youth - liked Guelfi's efforts today, Ham impressed although fumbled a couple of times, Redman....let's talk about Mason Redman. This kid has struggled with injuries for four years so lets pray that is behind him. He has Elite disposal written all over him. Not seen anyone drill a footy laces out like that in an Essendon team since probably Joe Misiti at his best

Enjoy the win Peeps
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Shiel, Merrett and Heppell had excellent games with 30+ touches

Hurley and Hooker great... Ham looked lively, but he also looked like a jockey out there today. Hard to believe he turns 20 this week.

62 Clangers a tad high for a game where we dominated. Won't get away with that next week.

Well done - a good team effort. Loved Scott's face during the game.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:39 pm Shiel, Merrett and Heppell had excellent games with 30+ touches

Hurley and Hooker great... Ham looked lively, but he also looked like a jockey out there today. Hard to believe he turns 20 this week.

62 Clangers a tad high for a game where we dominated. Won't get away with that next week.

Unlike Benny Doolan - I am not sure Clangers are a major issue when you are possessing the ball so the degree we have been. I would look at Clangers/Disposal ratio or Clangers/Turnover ratio. Clangers are subjective as well - the stats guys can record a clanger for a scrubby handball out of a pack that doesnt hit a target. In my view, a Clanger should be called Unforced Error where a player makes a clear mistake without any pressure.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:46 pm
s'dreams wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:39 pm Shiel, Merrett and Heppell had excellent games with 30+ touches

Unlike Benny Doolan - I am not sure Clangers are a major issue when you are possessing the ball so the degree we have been. I would look at Clangers/Disposal ratio or Clangers/Turnover ratio. Clangers are subjective as well - the stats guys can record a clanger for a scrubby handball out of a pack that doesnt hit a target. In my view, a Clanger should be called Unforced Error where a player makes a clear mistake without any pressure.
I do the Clanger / Disposal ratio + rankings.

After last week, we were ranked 13th in the league for clangers - not bad. But we are also ranked 13th for disposals - not good. So the ratio says if we’re ranked 1st for disposals, we’ll also be ranked 1st for clangers. We need to do less clanging, and more banging.

Also, we were ranked 11th for disposals efficiency. Not a good combo to have.
Essendunny
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:19 pm

After last week, we were ranked 13th in the league for clangers - not bad. But we are also ranked 13th for disposals - not good. So the ratio says if we’re ranked 1st for disposals, we’ll also be ranked 1st for clangers. We need to do less clanging, and more banging.

Not sure we should encourage MORE BANGING....however

Your stats suggest that we are still that frustrating "See-Saw" team..do great..do shit...Win against good teams...lose against shit. A complete cohesive team is yet to present. That's why we/supporters are queuing up for straight jackets!!
Image]
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Daisy..1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Not sure we should encourage MORE BANGING....however

Your stats suggest that we are still that frustrating "See-Saw" team..do great..do shit...Win against good teams...lose against shit. A complete cohesive team is yet to present. That's why we/supporters are queuing up for straight jackets!!
Dead right!
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Another good win, next month will determine where we really sit in the pecking order, judgement reserved until then...
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

women's intuition....we go down by 36! next week!
Image]
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

Daisy..1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:02 pm women's intuition....we go down by 36! next week!
AND...I foresee a major injury to a key player....
Image]
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Oh please stop that awful talk. [-X I :-$ =;

We didn’t have much opposition today but then again neither did Collingwood last night. I like the fact we seem now to be playing a style that suits the team we have. Good pressure was applied most of the game. Loved the new boy Ham’s game.

Got to stop De Goey and their midfield. Glad it’s our home game. We can do it.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Impressive performance today. Shiel was sensational. Heppell, epic. Zachy was not as noticeable, but had the most disposals!

Orazio was zippy. So good to watch in full flight. Guelfi was excellent in defence. Did a lot of good stuff. So too Redman. The defensive unit was great. Ambrose quite possibly had the best 6 disposal game ever!

Good to see JD back. Huge goal shows things are ok with his groins. Took some good grabs too. Good prep for Anzac Day.

Like the look of Smoked Ham! Nice way to finish the game with a good grab and a goal.

Conor McKenna is taking his game to the next level. Very pleased with his consistency and impact.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Well done Bombers!

I didn’t watch the game,being Good Friday,but you guys did your job all the same.

The Result and Joe’s return was most pleasing!Did he smile at all the right moments? :lol:
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:22 am Well done Bombers!

I didn’t watch the game,being Good Friday,but you guys did your job all the same.

The Result and Joe’s return was most pleasing!Did he smile at all the right moments? :lol:
He did have a few trademark smiles.
But what I really liked was there were a couple of times where he showed a real intense look. I think after his first goal was one, and there were a couple more. Hoping it's a sign of a new, improved killer instinct.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Sheil was sublime!

With him and Heppell hitting targets our game goes to another level.

If Parish - and to a lesser extent Hurley can do the same - then we will be very scary.

ANZAC Day will be a good measure.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BTW I loved what Redman did against Norf...really took the game on when the ball came his way and hit his targets IIRC
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Always room for improvement,Windy! :wink:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Crazyman wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:18 am BTW I loved what Redman did against Norf...really took the game on when the ball came his way and hit his targets IIRC
He was excellent. I remember watching this kid in the VFL in 2016 and commented that I thought he would make it as an AFL player. Showed a lot of courage and tenacity.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I think Collingwood has won 5 of the last 6 ANZAC day outings. Not good enough Bombers. Let’s hope this group is as hungry as they are capable. The game on Thursday will be won by the team most determined to win. Based on their current form lines, I think these 2 teams are pretty closely matched

Collingwood Defense - 7
Essendon Forward - 8

Collingwood Midfield - 9
Essendon Midfield - 7

Collingwood Forward - 7
Essendon Defense - 8

If our mids can hold their own, we should win
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Windy_Hill wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:41 pm I think these 2 teams are pretty closely matched
That’s blown it, now we’re totally f***** 😂